DfE Update - October 2018
Published on 30/10/18
On the 25th October, the Department for Education made some changes to the SEN requirements that academies, free schools, colleges and maintained schools should post on their websites.
All schools should already have a SEN information report on their website which should be updated annually, however this now needs to be amended as soon as possible whenever any changes occur within the year. You cannot now wait until your annual review of the document - it must be updated as and when changes are made.
Your report should already include the following as per previous updates:
- section 69 of the Children and Families Act 2014, including:
- the arrangements for the admission of disabled pupils
- the steps you have taken to prevent disabled pupils from being treated less favourably than other pupils
- the facilities you provide to help disabled pupils to access the school
- information as to the plan prepared by the governing body or proprietor under paragraph 3 of schedule 10 to the Equality Act 2010 (accessibility plan) for:
- increasing the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the school’s curriculum
- improving the physical environment of the school for the purpose of increasing the extent to which disabled pupils are able to take advantage of education and benefits, facilities and services provided or offered by the school
- improving the delivery to disabled pupils of information which is readily accessible to pupils who are not disabled
- regulation 51 and schedule 1 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 where appropriate
but now also needs to comply with section 6 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years.
If your report does not include this compliance already, we recommend that you update it as soon as possible to ensure your school website remains DfE compliant.
We will update this information in our checklist guidance as soon as possible and amended copies will be available from the e4education academy or from your Customer Care Executives via 03453 191 039 - option 2 within the next week.